Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thursday's Tunes....The Mister Ed Show

No, this isn't about a talking horse (or a mule.  If memory serves, there was a big stink about Ed being not a horse or summat).

Instead, I will be hopefully talking to you today about another British Import (Please see last Thursday's Tunes for Adele) that's become uber popular in the states:  Ed Sheeran.

If you've followed my personal facebook, you'll know what a big fan of his "Lego House" I am.


(The video features Harry Potter star Rupert Grint who plays a stalkerish fan that breaks into Ed's flat & tour bus only to be apprehended by the coppers at the end, passing by Ed)

Part of the reason why I enjoy listening to Ed, obviously, is his voice.  It's almost like really smooth whisky.  The other is his songwriting abilities.

Lego House includes lines like this:


I'm out of touch, I'm out of love
I'll pick you up when you get down
And out of all these things I've done I think I love you better now
I'm out of sight, I'm out of mind
I'll do it all for you in time
And out of all these things I've done I think I love you better now

Guh, right? Words that were meant to melt butter.  

I'm a big fan of imagery in writing as much as the next girl, but I can also appreciate a man putting words to music and keeping it so very honest and simple.  As Mr. John Keating says in Dead Poets Society that language, poetry, communication is meant to woo women. 

In this case, I'm not going to sit as a doubting Thomas.  Nor look a gift horse in the mouth.  

Another favorite of his is A-Team: 


This song is gut-wrenching but so wonderfully written. 

The worst things in life come free to us
And we're all under the upper hand
Go mad for a couple of grams
And we don't want to go outside tonight
And in a pipe we fly to the Motherland
Or sell love to another man
It's too cold outside
For angels to fly


Give Me Love probably stands as my favorite Ed song currently: 

Give a little time to me or burn this out,
We'll play hide and seek to turn this around,
All I want is the taste that your lips allow,
My, my, my, my, oh give me love,
Give a little time to me, or burn this out,
We'll play hide and seek to turn this around,
All I want is the taste that your lips allow,

Um, just all of the yes.  

If you're still not sold, here's Ed covering one of THE best love songs around, Chasing Cars (including Snow Patrol's singer (IRISH DUDE), Gary Lightbody): 


Or Oasis' Wonderwall (another personal fave): 


So, that's what going on in the world of Heather's Itunes (such as it is).  Who are you guys digging on right now? 

2 comments:

  1. I adore Ed Sheeran. He does proper music IMO - the emotion infused deep down in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love him a lot myself, obv. The Brit imports are pretty popular right now. You should be PROUD. Well, except for Cher Lloyd. She drives me bugnuts. LOL

      Delete