Wednesday, August 8, 2012

With Love, Jude's Momma

Still here and kicking.  Just wanted to say thanks for all of the thoughtful comments on my last post.  Seriously, bless your hearts. 

Today, there's not going to be a What to Read Wednesday.  I might return to my regularly scheduled craziness next week.  This week there are too many thinky thoughts in my head that are longing to get out obviously. 

Last year around this time of year, I posted an open letter to my youngest child as she was heading off to her first year of preschool and it was very traumatic for me....not so much for that little go-getter.  This year, I'm going to do the same thing.  So, again, if you would be kind enough to indulge me, that'd be great. 



This was her first day of preschool last year (aka 2011).


That picture is from this morning in the car. 

Dear Jude,

In about six days you are going to be five years old.  I cannot believe how fast the time has gone from the time I got to meet you on August 14, 2007 to now.  You have been such a surprise to me, an unexpected joy that I didn't know I needed in my life until you came along. 

You, little girl, are stubborn to a fault.  At times, you drive me and your dad absolutely crazy with it.  And then you come along and do something like ask for hugs and kisses.  You are equally unashamed about who you love as you are about who chaps your butt. 

You love your big sister, Sadie, more than anything or anyone in your world.  If you could, you would follow her everywhere chattering at her a million miles an hour. 

Your fingernails are always filthy from digging in the dirt and finding worms.  Seriously, if I had a nickel for every time that you've brought a worm in my back door cradled inside of your tiny palm....I'd have a buck-fifty.  You also always have tiny bruises on your legs from running everywhere.  You don't walk unless you are obstinantly putting your feet down and digging your heels in because you aren't going to do whatever it is that you've just been told to do. 

And as a little secret between you and your momma, I secretly love this.  Don't ever lose your ability to be you, kiddo.  Have your own opinions and don't be afraid to shout them loud enough for anyone to hear.  I admire your courage and heart so very much, baby girl.  You show me every single day of my life, that its okay to go running headlong into that great big world of ours to have an adventure.  There's really great things like friends, dogs, trees, rain, and people to notice out there and you never fail to point all of the cool stuff out to me.  Like cows.  They're cool too according to you.   

You also love music.  You love to sing along.  You love to spin and twirl while you grin and shout "Watch me, Momma."

Which brings me to the next thing: you are the only one of my babies to call me Momma.  I don't know where you heard it as everyone else in the house calls me 'Mom'.  Not you, kiddo.  You called me Momma from the get-go. 

You, Jude, are going to be the end of my sanity, I know, when you're fifteen and we can't see eye-to-eye on anything.  I know you're going to be THAT child.  But until then, I will cherish every kiss goodnight you wanna give me.  I'll act like those worms are no big deal (although, you aren't bringing them in the house).  And I promise I will always answer every single time you holler, "Momma!"

Okay, world, you take care of her when she ventures on out again in a few weeks and off to her last year of preschool.  She's so excited to see all of you again.  But, her momma worries.  So yeah, take it easy.  She's only little yet. 

With Love,

Jude's Momma

1 comment:

  1. <3 I do think that making a letter like this for each of your kids before their respective years in school is an AMAZING idea....love your undying love and devotion for the littles in your house <3

    ReplyDelete