I've decided I am never going to be 'that' mom. I just can't.
I'm never going to be that mom that has it totally together. I don't or can't even appear to have it all together. I will let your room end up looking like this until I can't stand it anymore.
And in a fit of pique (or the fact that the County might've put yellow tape across the doorway condemning your room) I will help you clean it up.
I won't be the greatest decorator in the world. As a matter of fact, I'll probably forget that I was supposed to sew you curtains for six months and then wait until we've bought a new comforter for your bed and then decide to sew them.
I'll wait till the last minute to buy your school supplies.
I will also stay up till midnight the day before your birthday baking treats for you to take to school. Or buy them somewhere the morning of.
I'm never going to be Betty Crocker or Suzy Homemaker.
If you run out of clean underwear, don't blame me. I showed you how to use the washer and/or the dryer.
I won't watch that stupid youtube video that you wanna show me. Seriously, after the 87th time, there's only so many times I can watch a cat and/or dog chasing it's tail or watching grown people light their farts.
But, this I promise, I will do:
1. If someone breaks your heart, I will try very hard not to want to break their knee caps (but when you aren't looking I will send Jude to find them).
2. I promise to listen to your dreams, hopes, and wishes without bias or laughter.
3. I promise to hold your hand during the scary part of the movie and not tell a soul.
4. I promise to clean up your scrapes, bumps and bruises with as little pain as I can possibly muster while putting on peroxide and neosporin.
5. I promise that when you're sick, I will buy the more expensive soup with the actual stars in them.
6. I promise to be honest with you and let you know when I'm scared, too.
7. I promise to always love you (but to keep it real, there's gonna be times when I may not always like you...and I'll be sure to let you know when those moments are).
8. I promise to listen to you when you're frustrated with me and to see if we can come to some sort of logical compromise....after I've sent you to your room and calmed down enough to see straight.
9. I promise to sing and dance with you and be absolutely silly (which, let's be honest, is the permanent state of Chez Fleming. We are nothing if not ridic most of the time).
10. I promise to embarrass you by kissing your dad and saying I love him. (and one day when you're married and have kids of your own...you'll see why this is cool)
11. I promise to yell the loudest at your game/meets/recitals/solo competitions/etc.
Why? Because I'm that mom.