Monday, July 30, 2012

#MusicMonday - Glee Edition

Okay, okay, I know danged well that some of you are avid Glee fans and some of you are so not.  But, separating the ridiculousness of the circus that is Glee, the tv show, I would like to say that Glee, the music, can be amazing and touching all in its own right. 

Glancing through my itunes on my laptop tonight I was quickly ruling out who y'all might wanna hear about or talk about or listen to me wax lyrical about and considering well over half of my itunes are Glee songs, I thought that maybe they might get a fair shake here on my blog. 

Now for my next trick, I going to attempt to pick out five (that's right FIVE) songs from Glee that I love.  Keep in mind that there is a talented ensemble cast behind these songs and stories (well, sometimes they make sense and others not so much - I blame Ryan Murphy - he's kind of a dunderhead). 

Okay, here we go:

5.  We Are Young (originally by the group fun)


This vid is one of those new-fangled lyrics vids that all the kids are doing nowadays as Fox and Glee keep a pretty tight rein on these kids' performances but you'll get the gist of the moment as it goes down.  This song climbed up the charts after they performed it, but I liked it well enough - and the band is amazing (Please, to be checking out fun if you get the chance) - as a single by the original singers.  This moment, though, in the show, when they all come back together again always gives me goosebumps and the blending of all their voices is amazing.  Enjoy.

4.  Shake It Out (originally by the group Florence + the machine)



I can't remember how many times I listened to this over and over and over again.  It's a beautiful rendition of this song led by Amber Riley, Naya Rivera, and Jenna Ushkowitz (aka Mercedes Jones, Santana Lopez, and Tina Cohen-Chang).  These ladies have not always had the limelight and/or the spotlight but their voices together are just hauntingly perfect.

3.  Man in the Mirror (originally by Michael Jackson)


Okay, here's the boys turn to shine.  I love love love this song.  Small secret that it's probably my fave MJ song (who doesn't love hearing about turning to look inside yourself to make changes?  No one, that's who) and these guys knock the shit out of it with the girls harmonizing in the back ground.  These boys excel week after week but just stand out and shine in this and when they bring it down for the very last harmonizing 'change', I get freaking goosebumps every time.

2.  My Love is Your Love (originally by Whitney Houston)


Oh lawd, this song.  I've watched this show probably since the beginning of season two, but was fortunate enough to find season one on netflix.  This song, watching this group sing together, reminded me so much of season one.  The song, orginally sang by Ms. Whitney, is perfect for them as an ensemble, as a cast.  Love, love, love it.

1.  Loser Like Me - Glee Cast

This little ditty came from an episode called Original Songs.  It's a cute anthem for all the geeks of the earth.  Don't get me wrong, music/fancy lyrics can't fix everything wrong with the world, but words are powerful when used as a mantra and/or anthem.  Revel in your geekery.  Love the fact that you're good at math or you can build a birdhouse.  That's what this song is about. 

I love it. 

Okay, that's my two cents on the music this week.  Do y'all watch Glee?  What's your fave?

2 comments:

  1. It will surprise you not at all that I haven't ever sat down and watched Glee. But you still love me, anyway...yes? I can tell you, though, that I was listening to their version of MJ's "Wanna be Starting Something" on youtube on repeat through my phone at work one day and it definitely perked up my day. -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAH - I don't think I would've watched had it not been for Jules and Tara. They loved it a lot and Jules sent me the first episode as a gift on itunes and BAM, loved it. But, DCriss' version of Wanna Be Startin' Something was/is pretty freaking awesome, Sarah. Glad they got you thru the day. ;)

      Delete