Saturday, July 14, 2012

Dish Duty

Source

In the interest of keeping it real, I'm writing about one of my most hated chores:  Doing the dishes.  Most of the time I have a lovely 14-year-old boy doing them for me but on the weekends I tend to give him a break as he's working his other job as a glorious bus boy/dishwasher at a local eatery.  You thought I was going to say that he was working as a mini-super hero, right?  Being a bus boy is just his cover story, but that's a tale for another time.

Now, a couple years ago when I was following several blogs about homesteading and keeping it simple, one of the first things they (the collective folks who are way more savvy about keeping a home and saving your pennies) say is to do the dishes by hand.  Not only does it save on money by not running your dishwasher but it's cathartic.

Yeah, I thought they were smoking crack, too. 

Come to find out that when I'm wrist deep in a sink full of suds and water, they're right.  There is something wholly relaxing about stopping and slowing down and concentrating on the task at hand and meandering over the day's events or clearing your mind all together. 

I mean besides saving on electricity and all of those important things, it's soothing. 


Plus, I love the tableau of my dishes stacked all nice and orderly in their vibrant fiesta colors in the cupboards when I'm done.  (it's part of my OCD, I'm sure....I love order)

So, I shall finish this cup of coffee and be off to wash those plates and silverware and color myself impressed with my amazing housewifely duties. 

And then, then it's play time at the beach hopefully. 

Pictures to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment